News

Heartbroken mum’s warning after ‘cheeky’ boy, one, strangled to death by blind cord

The heartbroken mum of a one-year-old boy who died after getting caught in a blind cord has issued a stark warning to other parents.

Kane Davidson was playing with his brother at home in Greenacres, Oldham, when he became trapped on January 28.

The little tot sadly died later at Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital, report Manchester Evening News.

Last week, the coroner inquest heard that Kane suffered a cardiac arrest caused by asphyxiation and hypoxic brain injury.

At the hearing at Rochdale Coroner’s Court last Friday, coroner Dr Edward Morgan ruled that Kane’s death was ‘accidental’.

And now his mum, Natasha Ogden, wants to warn other parents with the dangers associated around blind cords and young children.

“It’s something you think will never happen to you,” she explained. “It’s something you read in the news or magazines.

“You might not see it as danger but you need to make sure you tie them away from your children. It’s not mandatory for them to be checked but it should be.”

Paying tribute to her beloved son, Natasha said: “Kane made the family. He was really cheeky and happy all the time.

“He was just the happiest little boy you would ever meet. Batman was his favourite. As soon as he smiled, everybody else would.”

Natasha has previously spoken of her heartbreak after finding her son entangled in the blind cord after leaving him alone for just seconds while she went to the bathroom.

Speaking to the Manchester Evening News in February, she said there was no fitting on the wall to tie the blind cords up with and that she believes Kane may have climbed onto the windowsill while ‘messing about’ and slipped.

Upon finding her son, her harrowing screams were heard by a neighbour who helped perform CPR while waiting for paramedics to arrive.

By the time little Kane was transferred to Manchester Children’s Hospital, it was already too late. The tot had suffered brain trauma and was put into a coma.

His injuries were so severe he had little chance of surviving. There was nothing more doctors could do. Natasha and Kane’s father, Callum Davidson, made the agonising decision to switch off his life-support machine on February 1.